ADVERT >> 
Subject:  salsa leeds
Date: 29th Oct 2005, 1:16 pm

- would like info on salsa clubs in leeds-- salsero from states looking for salsa caliente on sat. nites and where the better dancers go --will be teaching in morley starting in nov.( p.r. style street-- I have forty years plus exp. ) also if any sun. dances are on in nov ?

Date: 31st Oct 2005, 12:32 pm
Replying to: A message by quickstep (terence levine) posted on 29th Oct 2005, 1:16 pm

BEGIN QUOTE 
- would like info on salsa clubs in leeds-- salsero from states looking for salsa caliente on sat. nites and where the better dancers go --will be teaching in morley starting in nov.( p.r. style street-- I have forty years plus exp. ) also if any sun. dances are on in nov ?
 END QUOTE 

Damn, there was a sunday social last night at the sports cafe near the headrow. That's monthly, a lot of NY on2 and and some on1 cross-body. http://www.thesalsaholics.com/

We also have Puerto-Rican Victor Hugo hanging out in Harrogate for a while, I don't know if he's starting something.

Manchester one week on Friday is salsology http://www.salsology.com/ lots of NY on2 action and some on1.

On1 in leeds is Fuego Latino which seems to have fallen off the internet at the moment but I think is thursdays in Tiger Tiger, plus monthly(?) "Salsamatazz" by the same people. These have a more mixed crowd with some on2 dancers and what we in the UK call "cuban" but probably wouldn't be recognised by an actual cuban!

Where & what time will be your class?

Date: 1st Nov 2005, 11:11 pm
Replying to: A message by quickstep (terence levine) posted on 29th Oct 2005, 1:16 pm

Hi Terence

I believe you're already on our mailing list - we send out a mailout once a week which details pretty much everything going on in the area (not just our stuff) - classes, events and congresses/trips etc.

You've just missed out Sunday Social which is regularly attended by many of the best dancers from all across the north and from as far south as Birmingham... it was a good night but not to worry as there is another one on the 20th November. These socials are more biased towards the 'on2' crowd but we get an equally good following of 'on1' 'cross-body leaders!'.

We teach regularly in and around Leeds and are launching a new Wednesday night in the middle of November - which we hope to be a popular social dancing night too. Details will be on our mailout.

Sweavo was correct in saying Fuego Latino do a Thursday night in Tiger, Tiger - and they also have a monthly event which is on this Saturday at the Hilton in the centre of Leeds. Very mixed crowd and music so I'm sure you'll find something to your liking.

It's always good to get new dancers in teh area - so please come and introduce yourself if you are at one of these events (just ask for Nicky of Nicky & Gormack - most people know us).

Have fun Nicky www.thesalsaholics.com

Date: 2nd Nov 2005, 8:22 am
Replying to: A message by sweavo (Steve Carter) posted on 31st Oct 2005, 12:32 pm

BEGIN QUOTE 
& what time will be your class?--Thanks for all the info guys ( and gals ? ) Am only going to be teaching at the Regency ballroom in morley on Nov. 13 th, sun. aft. beg, salsa 3.30- 5.30 and 14th mon ( and every week ) nites beg, salsa 7 -8 When and if i get established-- wil spend more time-- Also will be teaching a beginners class in ballroom at 1.30.-- Will consider advanced work if enough people are available--One last question-- Looking for cheaper bed and breakfast type place in morley-- and if i decide to come up on sat nite-- wheres the best spot to dance ? ( by the way will not have access to car-- relying on cabs etc,-- )regards --T
 END QUOTE 

Date: 2nd Nov 2005, 12:11 pm
Replying to: A message by Nickylg (Nicky Lloyd Greame) posted on 1st Nov 2005, 11:11 pm

BEGIN QUOTE 
Hi-- Thanks for info --will only be in leeds ( regency ballroom --morley ) at this time on sun & mon but may come earlier on sat --p.s. also d.j.-- T
 END QUOTE 

Date: 2nd Nov 2005, 12:17 pm
Replying to: A message by sweavo (Steve Carter) posted on 31st Oct 2005, 12:32 pm

P/s/ -- Made me laugh out loud with your comment about " a cuban would not recognise it !! " I will reserve my judgement upon contact with the illusion ! ( guess i am a little spoiled with latin clubs states side )

Date: 12th Nov 2005, 9:27 pm
Replying to: A message by quickstep (terence levine) posted on 2nd Nov 2005, 12:17 pm

Hi

Here is something about evening events. With reference to Leeds Salsa, we seem to have too many choices in this area. Could teachers/organisers get together and stop duplicating the dates so dancers can attend one club night at the time, but in greater numbers? There are so many of us who just simply do not know which one of the few venues they should go to on a particular evening. We have situation when people turn up and attendance is not as good as it used to be. Or is it because we are just getting bored with salsa here? Also, dare I say that "cuban" style is under-represented in Leeds by the teaching profession. Finally Terence, could you please enlighten me by explaining what is the p.r. style and its characteristics? Why I am not familiar with it? I need to know and replace the gap in my knowledge. I am keen to learn.

P.S. Tiger Tiger is apparently cancelled for salsa dancers at present. Helena's and Nicolai's Thursday night has been moved to Northern Lights (not my favourite place). Funny thing is that when I read the Leeds Guide recently, it still advertises salsa night at Bar Med on Thursdays!!!!!!!

Regards

Date: 16th Nov 2005, 1:50 pm
Replying to: A message by erraticdancer (Archer) posted on 12th Nov 2005, 9:27 pm

BEGIN QUOTE 
Firstly --thanks for your enquiry--- second-- too many locations-- I am at the mercy of the studio I am working out of as far as nights available to me--- I do not live in leeds and have to travel 3 hrs to teach--As you may or may not know-- am from states and have been teaching Mambo ? salsa for nearly fifty years-- Probably the most senior teacher in the u.k.--the old chestnut question-- what are the differences in style ?-- you will have heard many answers-- I wonder how many come from personal knowledge of being around when the transition took place ?--probably could be counted on one hand in the u.k. ( I am talking purely from a teaching perspective ) The essential differences are two fold--Music and appearance--- If you were to see some of the old style mambo dancers -- you would see that they danced with " alma y corazon "-- in english-- heart and soul-- That is what I see lacking in the current crop of dancers ( same is true in the states ) People are more interested in how much they can dance -- and not the quality or the true feeling-- this can be due to teaching ( or should I say the lack of it ) and -- giving the public what they want-- I have over the past few years seen students with less than 6 months training start to teach !!! I was fortunate-- I had a strong ballroom background and was lucky enough to be around a strong p.r. influence in l.a. in the late fifties--way before salsa was universal or known-- But even then-- when one looked at the way the two ethnic groups danced to the same rhythm-- they somehow looked different-- My p.r. friends then began to educate me-- and so now I had 2 styles !!-- essentially the cuban style covered a lot of ground whereas the p.r. was a far more controlled and compact style -- more adaptable to crowded floors-- the cuban style also had far more showy patterns-- this was mainly due to the chain school influence which had put mambo into a competetive arena-- Musically-- clave was the order of the day-- and still is in nearly all modern day music ( charanga being one exception ) and as the seventies rolled in as everyone knows -- the n.y.p.r. jazz musicians started to re- write music to suit their 4/4 timing-- and of course " Salsa -- to all intents and purposes -- was born-- The whole truth of the matter is that music is primarily Afro / Cuban and true p/r style is danced with a double time rhythm-- but thats another story-- there is a very definite visual difference when you see the 2 styles danced side by side --they are both correct -- a matter of personal choice-- and whether you break on 1 - 2 and yes 3--o.k.-- hope this answers most of your question Regards terence
 END QUOTE 

Date: 18th Nov 2005, 7:32 pm
Replying to: A message by quickstep (terence levine) posted on 16th Nov 2005, 1:50 pm

Thank you Terence. We should be glad to have you in Leeds. Hope we can learn a thing or two from your vast experience. Just a few notes: 1. mentioned evening events generally only, mostly to the current teachers 2. p.r. style and "double time rhythm" - I need to see that 3. hope you can find a place to stay closer to your classes 4. dancing with "heart & soul" is my aim. I will do the efford to check you classes out.

Regards

Date: 22nd Nov 2005, 1:15 pm
Replying to: A message by erraticdancer (Archer) posted on 18th Nov 2005, 7:32 pm

BEGIN QUOTE 
Thanks for your kind words-- had a class on sun 23 people !!-- mainly ladies-- but thats o.k.-- it beats sitting at home !--have been asked to do an advanced workshop by some local leeds group---Quite willing to do that-- with just one reserv ation--have been told they have been dancing for about 4 yrs-- Question is -- What ?--if they are just "step happy " ( a teaching term. ) then they may need a different approach-- should be interesting-- But I also could be pleasently surprised-- will reserve my judgement-- Always remember-- what the performer shows is generally a reflection of the teacher-- personal style apart--Please come up and sat hello. Regards Terence
 END QUOTE 

ADVERTS